Monday, August 16, 2010

Sugar? No thanks, I'm sweet enough already.

Some researchers will say that sugar isn't addictive. I know from personal experience that it is, and I suspect that if you're reading this, you know it too.  The food corporations know this. Of course they do, that's why you'll find sugar, high fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners in highly refined foods. For one thing it makes their crap more palatable, and the second, it's extremely addictive.

I'm doing my best to get off the stuff. Its hard. Damned hard. And since our food budget has taken an enormous dump (we're living off about 100.00 a month in groceries) I'm using this opportunity as a hunter/gatherer to find ways to suppliment our food budget.  I'll let you know how it goes.  In the mean time, here's an article explaining how to get off the white stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Patricia, I'm on the women's sangha with you and love your blog. I have recently moved out on my own and am now trying to manage on a way tighter budget than I was previously. So far, I've been allowing myself adjustment time and dipping into savings to compensate, but I don't want this to continue. I would be very interested if you can share more details about the ways in which you do manage to eat on 100 dollars a month. Are you simply eating a lot less or are you finding bargains? Dumpster diving (I hope not, but I know people who have had to do that) or perhaps unprocessed foods and making everything? I'm very curious about this. Thanks for what you do!

    ReplyDelete

Be polite.