Friday, August 6, 2010

The Dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup

I'm guilty as charged.  I am a sugar addict. It's one of the habits I simply cannot seem to break.  But the recent findings on how sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup can feed cancerous pancreas cells is prompting me to eliminate sugar from my diet. Especially since both my parents died from cancer. So it's very important to me to keep carcinogens out of my body. Not the easiest task in the world, especially when there are so many toxins found in our environment that contain cancer causing agents.

Of course the sugar and corn syrup industry are going to tell us that their products are perfectly safe. They want to make a profit, which is the American Way, after all.  And these industries have powerful lobbists in congress to make sure they continue making a profit. But does that make it a good idea to indulge in these products?

The  truth of the matter is, is that corn and corn products are probably better off being made into ethanol and used as fuel. And come to think about it, isn't that reason enough to stop eating corn and corn syrup? After all, would you honestly want to ingest something that you can fuel your car with?

True, we can glibly state that cancer causes mice. Or mice, we could argue, are simply cancer prone. But then again so are humans, otherwise it wouldn't be on the top ten list of what does the human race in.  At some point, we have to realize that we are all interconnected, be it mice or men, and what effects one organism on this planet can effect us all in one way or another.

Sugar is simply not our friend. It's certainly not mine, no matter what my personal cravings are. And craving is after all an impulse, one that should not be indulged.  Today I make my stand against eating sugar.
Cover me. I'm going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.