Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 11th

breakfast: ice water
Lunch a bowl of cherries and strawberries
Dinner: pork strips and some kind of steamed veggie.

Peak Flow: 350.

I had a nasty asthma attack during the night. I woke, unable to breathe, my chest in horrible pain. It was if someone had dropped a bowling ball on me during the night. I reached out for my husband but JW was gone. I found out later he was in the living room watching tv and writing articles.

I forced to breathe, slowly, counting the six syllable mantra as I did so. I was certain I was going to die, and I prayed asking the Buddha of Compassion if I was. I recieved a no response. I made myself get up, which was an Olympian feat, grabbed my inhaler and took two good sized hits off of it.

My lungs finally started to respond. The pain let up. I was able to get up and go to the bathroom. At that time the dog chose to get sick on the floor. JW heard it and took her outside. I cleaned up the mess (fortunately it wasn't much), then went and sat in the recliner after taking another dose of ventillin. By the time he and Tsuki got back into the house it started storming. The temp had dropped from 80 degrees to 70, which caused the attack. I sat up with JW for a while then at 5 I went back to bed. I slept through the alarm, my 7 am practice, my yoga, everything. I woke at 9 feeling as if I went a round with Lala Ali (Mohammad Ali's daughter...I have tremendous respect for her and what she's done for women's sports, especially boxing which at one time was totally unheard of) The below block quote is from her official website

Laila made her professional boxing debut on October 8, 1999, and in a sign of things to come, she knocked out her opponent, April Fowler, 31 seconds into the 1st round. Laila is the current undefeated Super Middleweight Boxing Champion of the world with a 24-0 record, with 21 knock-outs. In her last fight, on February 3rd, 2007, Laila knocked out her opponent, Gwendolyn O’Neal, in just 56 seconds. The bout, held in Johannesburg, South Africa, was attended by Nelson Mandela, a long time family friend.

Im still stiff and sore, but my air capacity is much better than it was at 4 am when I couldn't draw a deep enough breath to make the peak flow meter move, nor did I try. I don't believe in adding insult to injury.

I have a teleclass with Lama in about half an hour. I going to sit and rest until that time.
If the weather holds afterwards I'll try and write some, otherwise I think I'll spend the day after class beading and reading. Something that doesn't involve much effort.
See ya'll later.


  1. I hope you feel better! I can’t image that you live with asthma. My heart goes out to you.

    My only experience on asthma attack was when I was in India. I was sick with bacteria infected cold. I coughed days and nights, and could not lie down to sleep at all, until I went to see a volunteer doctor. He told me I had asthma caused by cold all this time. He said” you could die! It is very serious! Do you know? You could die! You should come to see me long time ago” I was coughing and wheezing for days and just thought it just a cold. I did not know that was asthma too. Antibiotic and inhaler helped me made it back to Taipei and got proper treatment. It was horror experience!

  2. Oh Melody I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience! I'm glad you recieved reatment for it, because the doctor was quite right. People can and do die from asthma. I hope you never have another attack.


Be polite.