Monday, August 10, 2009

August 10th

Peak Flow 300.
The peak flow post is how I take note of how well my lungs are functioning for the day. I have chronic asthma and need to keep track so I don't get surprised by an asthma attack. 450-500 is best, 300 is caution, and anything below 150 gets me a no expenses paid trip to the emergency room, usually with a rampaging case of pneumonia.
So today Im fine, my lungs are just a little 'tight,' but not too bad, and I keep my trusty rescue inhaler handy. I suspect asthma will kill me someday.
I figure I'll wake up one morning, find myself in the bardo wondering how the frak I got there.
Of course I can joke about it now, years ago, I didn't want to think about it. but I've been this way since I was 6 months old, and now I'm 50 so....

Today I want to practice, write, take care of JW and love life.

breakfast 1/2 grapefruit and strawberries
lunch: salad and a handful of grapes
dinner: pork strips and mixed veggies.

I'm running out of fruit and that concerns me. I hope JW has some $$ tucked back so I can have my daily allotment of fruit. Lama suggested I start storing up on backup foods like fish and dried fruits to keep me going through the month, and next month I plan to do exactly that. We got caught a little short this month and it didn't happen.

And there's always the food pantry. (Sigh) occassionally I get some good stuff from them, omega 3 eggs, fresh organic celery, carrots and onions from someone's garden. But mostly its just canned, refined and packaged crap. Well, a girl's gott eat...

Im contemplating a novice fast. 3 days. But this has to be in concert with my spiritual growth or it just becomes another bout of anorexia. Which I SO never want to go there...again...I'll discuss it with Lama during our next tele-class.

Yoga, yes. Namaste yoga today was the Exhalted Warrior poses which were surprisingly easy to do. I'm astonished at how much I've improved by doing this practice. It was horrible when I first started...now 4 months later I can safely put my forehead down onto my knee. My calves are rock solid and I'm losing belly flab and Im finding hard little muscles in my arms where my flesh once sagged.

I'm not telling you this to be vain. I'm telling you this because if, like myself, you have a weight problem, it can be fixed without surgery.

om mani padme hum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.