Thursday, October 14, 2010

Walking Can Reduce Brain Shrinkage

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/alzheimers


Here is a fascinating article I read this morning in regards to how walking can reduce brain shrinkage as we go older. Studies show that if a person walks at least 9 miles a week he or she can reduce the possibility of developing degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer's and dementia.

It's certainly not a cure for Alzheimer's, but it's a good way to keep your brain healthy, regardless of whether you are in middle age or still in your twenties.

I used to work in a nursing home (or two) and I noticed that residents who didn't walk, who didn't leave their rooms although they were ambulatory degenerated faster than those who could stroll the grounds. I saw this same phenomena when I worked as a home health care provider. If you're active, your brain stays healthy. If not, it develops sector errors and finally quits working altogether.

So here's another reason to discard our sedentary lifestyles. If nothing else, go out after dinner and walk the block. It couldn't hurt.
I know I've added walking to my daily routine.
may you all benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.