Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Difference Between Comedy and Tragedy

Last week someone whom I had known for many years
And had become something of an enemy
Suffered a minor accident.

When I heard this a my inner Nelson
Said Ha Ha!



We have all heard the joke
That when someone steps on a banana peel and slips
It’s comedy.
But when we slip on a banana peel,
It’s tragedy.



So, the question arises:



Should I have taken pleasure in another’s suffering?
of course not.

However, when indulgent emotions arise,
What do we do about them?

Do we conjure up contrived guilt so
We can feel better, for ourselves
Rather than the enemy that was harmed?



Do we snuff our emotions entirely, like a kitchen match?




Do we indulge in the perceived pleasure
Of an enemy’s suffering?




The answer is none of the above.

Because none of these decisions will
Serve us well.

So what did I do?

I selected the none of the above.

Instead of indulging
Obscuring emotions

I harnessed them and put them to work



By bringing them into Lama Jigme’s

Buddha’s Three Cauldrons’s Practice

I blessed my enemy.

I prayed that my enemy wasn’t harmed.

I prayed that there would come a time
When we would no longer be enemies.



Was this a realistic request?

I don’t know. And I suppose it doesn't matter.

But it was a reasonable request.

And a desirable one.

After the practice

I felt wonderful.

And moved on.



May all who read this benefit.
Om mani padme hum


Become Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.