Sunday, October 25, 2009

retreat day two





So I didn't oversleep this morning. I woke up at six, happy and content, eager to start the day and fill it to capacity with Dharma practice.
What I didn't expect was getting a migraine.
It started out during my morning prostrations; those ziz zag lights going across my field of vision. I was upset. This was going to spoil everything. I'll end up spending the day in bed sleeping it off.

However, instead of stopping my morning wake up practice, I continued. Then I padded into the kitchen, took my meds, drank a large glass of water, turned off the lights and curled up in the recliner.

Instead of getting upset, calling the whole thing off, and letting the headache overtake me, I came to realize that this was an excellent opportunity to practice. After all, if the only time you can meditate is when you're happy and content, what use is it?

So I started with centering questions, awareness questions, and relaxing prayers. I located the culprit pretty quick, a muscle in the back of my neck was really tight. I massaged it and it helped.
Then I continued with Sutric questions, followed ritual taking of everyone's migraines, blessings to all who have migraines, then liberating my own migraine by by putting the head cauldron questions to work. At this point, I slipped off to sleep.

I slept for 3 hours. I feel slighly hung over, but the blindness is gone as well as the migraine. For which I am profoundly grateful.

The day is not lost by any means, simply delayed. I put my practice to good use, which helped immensely.

I'll be treating myself gently today, moving through the series of practices and studies in a relaxed and joyful manner. I wish I could prolong this retreat, but sadly it must end on Monday.

So here's whats on tap for today.
6AM Wake up practice and prostrations.
9 am Shastra reading: Heart Treasure of the Enlightened ones
Copy page from notes
Post blog report.
11: am Practice: Sunday's Mahamudra, Guru Yoga and Lama Praise
11:30-1:30 Streaming video of HH. The 14th Dalai Lama's lecture on the Four Noble Truths.

2:Pm Lunch
Shastra reading: Heart of Compassion transcribe Lama Jigme's latest Lesson.
3:00 pm sitting practice: Middling Three Cauldrons practice followed by walking practice
4:00PM tsa tsa painting practice and break
7:00 PM sitting practice: Essence of the 2 Tantric Stages
Shastra reading: Path to Enlightenment by HH. The Dalai Lama
8:00 - 11 pm Movies and various Sacred art practices. Beading, drawing, etc. If there's time or if JW goes to bed early I may continue watching HH lectures. It literally depends on how I feel by the end of the day.
May everyone benefit from this.
om mani padme hum.

Oh and BTW: you can find Lama Jigme's free practice texts on his site: http://www.lamajigme.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.