Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Practice like a Samurai Sword Master

I'm feeling much better today. Much more like my "old" self. I had a lovely breakfast of grapes, roast beef slices and carrots. Had my first glass of water and took my meds.
Morning practice was glorious. The sunlight falling perfectly golden onto the pasture behind my house. I could also see the park from where I sat, people with their dogs walking on the track. I wish I could join them. But the park is locked on my side of town and it's a four mile hike to the other side. I may hike there anyway, maybe then JW will actually drive me out there so I can get some exercise, and meditate on the pavillion. That would be lovely.

Im still navigating around my sugar addictions. JW said he'd hide his stash and Zack said that he'd put everything made of sugar in his car to keep me out of it. I thought this was pathetic, because all I have to do is exert a little willpower and just not eat it.

I've learned, however, that it's easier said than done. Right now, I know there's cookies on the table and reeses cups in the fridge. Ummm...on second thought, maybe putting it all into the car isn't such a bad idea.

A better idea would be that the guys could start eating fruit and vegetables, but that'll only happen when hell freezes over and the devil gives free sleigh rides.

So I am going to have to find other ways to deal with my sugary intoxication.
And that shouldn't be hard since I already have all the tools necessary in my practice texts. I just need the courage to impliment them.

But today is filled with busyness. I have to trim the poodle, give him a bath and get him ready to see the vet today. The cat, Butter, has to go in for shots as well, so dealing with her is going to be fun as well. I have to clean out the carrier and give her a dry bath and brushing as well. There's some laundry I have to do by hand, writing to do when I get home, and of course my daily practice.

I'll do a silent practice this afternoon on the way home from the vet's. I should have time to do my 11:00 practice this morning, outside because Chris is sick and is asleep in the shrine room and I don't want to disturb him. Last night I remembered to gather my hardcopy mahamudras and put them into the bedroom so I can get what I need from there instead of going into the shrine room. I need to get my pic of CHenrezig and my Shakymuni Buddha as well and create a small altar on top of the book case. There is always alternatives.

Dealing with distractions is a challenge, but I'm working on that as well. This morning, while doing my Mahamudra of Emptiness and Impermanence, the neighbor's cars were starting, there was traffic going down the main street behind my house. In the footbal stadium two blocks behind my house, the marching band struck up. And of course, there was an arguement going on in the alley.

I could have gotten angry. I could have stomped back into the house, threw my texts into the chair and lament that there was no peace and quiet, no way to meditate, oh, if only I could live in a cave high up in the mountains. There I could practice without interuption!

And yeah I could practice without interruption in a cave high in the mountains, providing a bear or a cougar (the animal, not the car or woman) doesn't decide to serve me with a forced eviction.

Sure, I could do that. But, like the Japanese sword masters of old, the Samurai's swords were the greatest in the world, not because they were pampered and treated like ornaments, but because the metal was refined through countless foldings and beatings. So what if my practice takes a beating from the highschool's marching band? So what if people are shouting at each other in the alley? So what if some smart-assed sixteen year old does a power slide on Merrill Street?

While meditating, all those things fell away. I imagined myself sitting in the middle of a busy city intersection. One like in the middle of downtown Dallas or Houston. I let the noise and distraction flow through me, around me. Letting go. Letting the thoughts arise and letting them go as well. Then, the image of the vast chaotic city fell away and I was sitting in golden light, in the field just behind my house. All was quiet and still and oh so serene. I rested in serene awareness, and then after 45 minutes of practice, I let it go. And felt better.

So great yogis and lamas can do their practice in their caves, away from human interruption. Yes, it's easier to do, but in reality, is it better? I have come to learn that day to day distractions are not only good for your practice, but in some ways vital. Lama Jigme says that disturbances can deepen your practice, and I can say from personal experience, that is very true.
More later. I gotta get the day started.
Ya'll have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.