Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Calming the Cookie Monster



I am such a cookie junkie. I know, I promised Lama I'd stop main lining sugar. I KNOW how awful it is, how bad it is for your health. But the craving is so horrible that despite my most profound resolve I find my willpower melting along with sugary glaze.

Yes, I binged on cookies a little while ago. I'm now on a sugary buzz. I hate it. I hate me. I hate the lobbies that keep sugar flowing through our food supply. I just plain hate it all. And yet, after enduring hours of cravings I finally gave in to it.

But instead of wallowing in self pity, because I do prefer to be a drama free person, I have decided to take action. First dealing with the craving itself, then with my reaction to it.

This is one of many strategies that I'm putting into place in order to conquer this bad habit I've developed.

As Lama says, "Sugar is nobody's friend."

Lama gave me a couple of power questions to help me with this issue. As soon as I get his approval I'll post them here.

This does help. I don't wake up in the morning and immediately go for the odd sugary snack. I've only been doing this for a few days and I know the results aren't immediate. But I have strategies to take action.

This is the first of many strategies and experiements.

1. Go ahead, eat the cookie. But it'll cost you.
This ISN'T a punishment. It's going for refuge. If I find all my preliminary stragies have failed and the sugar made it past my front lines of defense, this is what happens. Eat a cookie, do a sun salutation. Eat seven cookies, do seven sun salutations. Like I said, this isn't a punishment, it's cleansing the bad karma I've accumulated by harming myself (ingesting a toxic substance) and going to refuge, which is far more satisfying than eating something harmful.

Besides. It's a great workout.

This morning after my cookie binge, I did 7 salutations.

If I lose my resolve and eat more today that'll be more salutations I have to do.

Sun salutations are far better than the ensuing bladder infection I'm going to get by overindulging in sugar. It'll be worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite.